In the years that followed the members graded the mound and converted the land into a community park, playground and baseball diamond. The purchase of adjacent land years later enabled the organization to add a food stand, meeting hall and parking lot. In 1944 the club took the steps to stop a private entity from owning the lake. The Lions Club raised funds to purchase nearly 300 acres of the lake bed and some lakefront property to assure public access to the lake. Since then the club has led lake maintenance efforts including weed elimination, dredging and restocking.
In the late 1940's the Lions Club purchased more of the railroad right of way and donated it to the Village for the construction of Lions Drive. Other early activities of the Lions Club included the purchase of the town's first street light and the communities first ambulance. Today, the club continues its service, maintaining these properties and supporting scholarships, community projects, the food pantry, community dinners for the underprivileged and a host of other community activities.